Sunday, January 8, 2012

Closet Cleanup

Inspired by Lilly's decluttering projects, I decided to do a bit of decluttering of my own.

My first project was the hall closet. There wasn't much to get rid of, but I was able to straighten it up a little bit:


Before        

After  




Like I said, there wasn't much to get rid of, but I like how it looked after and that's all that mattered. :) It looks even emptier now because I was able to use two of those mailer envelopes recently, which totally made me happy. Using things up is just as much fun as decluttering things!

My next project was my clothes closet.

I would love to be one of those people who always has a cute outfit on. Unfortunately, laziness and comfort always win and I end up wearing outfits like what I currently have on: My husband's blue and black plaid pajama bottoms which are about 3 times too big for me, red slippers, a gray t-shirt and a fuzzy teal bathrobe complete with hood. And I would totally go to the store in this outfit, if I thought my husband wouldn't disown me!

Back to my closet. In an ideal world, I would be one of those minimalists who only owns 2 pairs of pants, 5 shirts, and a sweater. Instead, after pulling out all of my clothes from the closet and the dresser, this is what my pile looked like:



After going through the pile and removing clothes that hadn't been worn in the past five years, shirts that had shrunk in length once washed, itchy fabrics, and reducing my skinny clothes pile because by the time I diet my way back to that size at least half of the clothes will be out of fashion anyway, this is what I was left with:

 Still way more clothing than I would like to own, but it's a good start.

This is what I got rid of:

   
5 t-shirts, 8 tank tops, 14 hanging tops from my closet, 5 pairs of shorts, 5 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of pajama pants, 3 pairs of work pants, and a purse.

Phew!